Director of Operations
Company: National Standard
Posted on: April 10, 2021
National Standard is a leading manufacturer and distributor of a
broad range of wire and wire-related products that serve multiple
industries. Since 1907, National Standard has led the American
charge to manufacture high-quality wire to feed your success. Our
unparalleled wire expertise has shaped the industry and continues
to drive innovation today. Because wire is our singular focus, no
other company knows more. The company's products include welding
wire, tire bead wire, ACSR strand, industrial wire, and clean and
coated rod. The company's two manufacturing facilities are located
in Niles, MI and Stillwater, OK. National Standard has launched a
culture alignment initiative aimed at improving operational
performance, communication and employee engagement. The business
has made significant recent investments in building a world-class
team to lead the operation. The Operations Manager is expected to
be a key contributor to ongoing initiatives, demonstrating strong
change management, growth and operational improvement competence.
The business employs 120 employees, with revenues exceeding $30
million. The workforce is represented by the United Steel Workers.
More information about National Standard can be found at
- Provide leadership to all aspects of the manufacturing
operations including quality, maintenance and EHS.
- Facilitate, coach, counsel and guide the manufacturing work
group to ensure they can deliver year over year results.
- Educate, develop and motivate a manufacturing work group to
achieve required production results.
- Develop and implement operating policies and procedures to
achieve state goals.
- Establish goals and objectives and assure performance of such
is met at the lowest cost and highest quality.
- Strive for continuous improvement in manufacturing processes to
ensure efficiencies and eliminate waste, and implement such plan
through people, processes, procedures and equipment.
- Control and minimize labor overtime, quality returns and repair
- Provide business leadership that demonstrates commitment to
plant goals on a day-to-day basis.
- Ensure effective interchange of information between all work
- Create an environment where all employees are encouraged and
developed to reach the full potential in meeting company
- Exercise direct supervision over general supervisors and line
supervisors with respect to production volume, cost and quality of
production to meet production schedules and delivery dates.
- Meet financial objectives and goals by forecasting
requirements, support the annual budget process.
- Review production costs and production quality and modify
production and inventory control programs to maintain and enhance
profitable operation of plant.
- Direct and lead all operations to achieve monthly profit
results with a focus on operations output.
- Ensure and oversee all EH&S & OSHA regulations are in
- Facilitate and direct maintenance to optimize machinery
- Responsible for cleanliness of his/her own work area and the
general housekeeping of the Plant.Experience
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline or equivalent
- 10+ years' experience managing a complex multi-shift,
continuous operations environment.
- Experience leading teams in a heavy industrial manufacturing
- Experience with wire/metal processing preferred.
- Experience working with unions strongly preferred.
- Proven track record of strong safety performance is a
- Ability to understand processes and solve problems.
- Ability to put together and manage operating budgets.
- Strong Communication skills (presentation, written, verbal and
technical) Key Leadership Competencies
- Commitment to EHS -Continually demonstrate an unequivocal
commitment to the highest standards of health and safety for the
workforce and be a leader in ensuring the company maintains its
high levels of environmental performance.
- Unquestionable Integrity - Demonstrates the highest degree of
integrity when engaging with associates, distributors, and
stakeholders. Leads ethically by example and fosters a culture
firmly grounded in the values of the organization.
- Strategic and Agile Thinking - Strong strategic capabilities
and overall business acumen. Financially savvy and understands the
economic levers behind improving EBITDA and other key metrics.
Fact-based, data-driven and analytical. Creative mindset with the
ability to identify and mobilize around new opportunities very
- Collaborative Style - Engages stakeholders in problem solving
and decision making. Is adept at bringing people together to tackle
issues rather than dictate solutions. Has a collegial, inclusive
working style and is professional and courteous. Builds strong
relationships both internally and externally. Is both confident and
- Communication Skills - Excellent verbal and written
communication skills with the ability to effectively deliver and
reinforce consistent messages at all levels. Excellent listening
- Leadership Capability - Has the leadership acumen and
credibility to work across the entire organization and develop
talent. Should be hands-on, but able to delegate appropriately with
the ability to motivate, inspire and commit an organization to a
course of action and achieve results.
Keywords: National Standard, South Bend , Director of Operations, Executive , Niles, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!