Company: Beacon Health System
Location: South Bend
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Reports to the Director, Patient Care Services. Performs
designated patient care services under the direction of a
Registered Nurse. Specific tasks to be performed are determined
based upon patient care unit assignment and may include some or all
of the duties listed below.MISSION, VALUES and SERVICE GOALS
* MISSION: We deliver outstanding care, inspire health, and connect
* VALUES: Trust. Respect. Integrity. Compassion.
* SERVICE GOALS: Personally connect. Keep everyone informed. Be on
their team. Performs patient care services by:
* Assisting with patient admission (setting up patient room,
orienting patient to room and recording basic patient information)
* Bathing patients, assisting with oral hygiene, making beds,
straightening rooms and providing ongoing care throughout the
* Giving, placing and emptying bedpans/urinals/commodes.
* Turning, positioning, moving, lifting, transferring and
ambulating patients (including chest tube patients); also assisting
with range of motion exercises using proper techniques.
* Preparing patients for meals (feeding or assisting); distributing
and collecting meal trays.
* Taking and recording vital signs including temperatures, blood
pressure, pulse and respirations; also measuring and recording
standing or bed scale weights.
* Answering patient call lights, addressing the need and/or
relaying messages appropriately. Participates in patient care
treatments and procedures by:
* Performing skin care including cleaning patient's skin,
surgical/procedural skin preps (clips, shaves, etc.) and applying
skin products under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
* Performing wound care including sterile/unsterile dressing
changes, hot/cold applications, suture/staple removal and
documenting observations on the medical record.
* Conducting, performing and recording procedures (i.e., catheter
insertion or removal, blood glucose monitoring, external monitors,
hematest, incentive spirometry, sputum collection, IV site
observation, , discontinuing peripheral IVs/reseals, NG suction
set-up, maintaining/adding feeding, recording intake, cardiac
monitoring, EKGs, checking arterial pressure lines, implementing
deep vein thrombosis prevention measures, etc.) as directed by a
* Emptying, measuring and recording foley, ileostomy/colostomy
and/or gastric drainage bags and making ostomy pouch/dressing
changes (established); emptying or changing oral suction
containers; also recording, calculating and totaling intake and
* Preparing and administering perineal (catheter) care, ice
bags/collars and non-medicated enemas as assigned.
* Performing emergency procedures including calling a Code Blue,
gathering equipment, performing CPR and using AED.
* Implementing isolation precautions including standard
precautions, respiratory or strict isolation.
* Obtaining specimens as directed including urine, stool,
hemoccult, gastroccult, sputum and nasal cultures (including
* Assisting with post mortem care as directed by RN. Supports the
patient care unit by:
* Observing, reporting and following up on patient complaints,
unusual behavior, abnormal condition changes, incidents, concerns,
questions or complaints expressed by patient, family or v
* Transporting patients and delivering and returning equipment or
* Maintaining supply levels by observing and reporting necessary
orders and placing supplies in the proper place when delivered.
* Cleaning and maintaining equipment during and after use (IVACs
and isolation equipment).
* Maintaining neat and orderly patient care areas (linen removed
from patient rooms and commodes and urinals emptied).
* Maintaining clean and orderly work areas (clean and soiled
utility rooms, kitchen area). Performs other functions to maintain
personal competence and contribute to the overall effectiveness of
the department by:
* Completing other job-related duties and projects as assigned.
Associate complies with the following organizational
* Attends and participates in department meetings and is
accountable for all information shared.
* Completes mandatory education, annual competencies and department
specific education within established timeframes.
* Completes annual employee health requirements within established
* Maintains license/certification, registration in good standing
throughout fiscal year.
* Direct patient care providers are required to maintain current
BCLS (CPR) and other certifications as required by
* Consistently utilizes appropriate universal precautions,
protective equipment, and ergonomic techniques to protect patient
* Adheres to regulatory agency requirements, survey process and
* Complies with established organization and department
* Available to work overtime in addition to working additional or
other shifts and schedules when required. Commitment to Beacon's
six-point Operating System, referred to as The Beacon Way:
* Leverage innovation everywhere.
* Cultivate human talent.
* Embrace performance improvement.
* Build greatness through accountability.
* Use information to improve and advance.
* Communicate clearly and continuously. Education and
* The knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated below are
acquired through the successful completion of a high school diploma
or equivalent. Previous patient care experience desired. A Nurse
Assistant certification is preferred. Knowledge & Skills
* Demonstrates ability to read, legibly print or write, correctly
spell medical and non-medical terms and understand and follow
verbal and written instructions.
* Requires an understanding of medical terminology.
* Demonstrates math skills necessary to add, subtract, multiply,
divide, use fractions and calculate percentages (for example, weigh
patients and take pulses, respirations, etc.).
* Demonstrates communication and interpersonal skills necessary to
interact effectively with patients, visitors and co-workers and to
maintain positive working relationships.
* Requires proficiency in basic computer skills and sufficient
keyboarding skills to complete the work assigned accurately and in
a reasonable amount of time.
* Requires the ability to work independently, take initiative and
be self-motivated. Working Conditions
* Works in a patient care environment requiring physical exertion,
frequent changes in job demands, certain undesirable patient care
activities and possible exposure to bio-hazards. Physical
* Requires the physical ability and stamina (i.e. to walk/stand for
prolonged periods of time, push carts/wheelchairs up to 50 pounds,
to position/lift patients at a maximum of 35 pounds unassisted,
over 35 pounds requires assistance, provide CPR, etc.) to perform
the essential functions of the position. Also may require doing
heavy work which includes holding or positioning objects for
prolonged periods of time. Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, PRN,
Per diem Pay: From $15.79 per hour Benefits:
* Dental insurance
* Health insurance
* Paid time off
* 12 hour shift
* Day shift
* Evening shift
* Night shift
* Rotating weekends
* Weekend availability
Supplemental pay types:
* Differential pay Application Question(s):
* Are you interested in Days or Nights?
* Are you interested in Full-time, Part-time, or PRN? Work
Location: One location
Keywords: Beacon Health System, South Bend , Nursing Assistant, Healthcare , South Bend, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!