Personal Care Assistant
Company: Pace of Southwest Michigan
Location: Saint Joseph
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Apply today with PACE of Southwest Michigan! On the job training
We are seeking Personal Care Assistant's (PCA's) to assist our
participants in the community, Full-Time, or Part-Time Hours to
join our team!
SIGN-ON BONUS up to $2,500 FOR PCA's!
(Speak with HR for bonus details)
We offer a competitive salary and benefit package, that includes
medical, dental, 403B, PTO, holidays off (w/pay) and a M-F work
schedule. PACE, which stands for Program for All-Inclusive Care for
the Elderly, is a unique option for older adults who wish to remain
in their home as they age. Our goal is to provide senior community
members with the care, medical treatment and support they need to
achieve the highest quality of life.
We are actively recruiting for Personal Care Assistant's to work
with our Homecare team's. This position requires a dynamic
individual, who enjoys working in an environment that encourages
developing relationships with our participants and their
caregivers, where a team focused approach to care is the
cornerstone of our organization.
The PCA is a non-certified personal care assistant who is training
at our day center by our Nurse Educator and PACE team to provide
basic in-home care to PACE participants. Works under the direct
supervision of the Home Services Supervisor or designee.
- Provide assistance, support, and/or guidance for participants in
their home environment as directed
- Travel to participant homes to provide care
- Assist with all ADLs as trained appropriately and directed
- Assist with two-person assist transfers, turning, positioning,
and transferring participants into and out of bed, chair, shower,
wheelchair and use of mechanical lift as needed
- Obtain monthly/weekly weights as directed
- Communicate any changes in function or behavior to the Home
- Assist participants on/off the bus at their homes
- Participate with Quality Improvement activities
- Assist with housekeeping tasks in the home, to include but not
limited to - sweeping, mopping, laundry, grocery shopping, etc. as
- Assist with personal care tasks in the home, to include but not
limited to - bathing, toileting, changing, dressing/undressing,
etc. as directed.
- Work collaboratively with all other departments to ensure that
the needs of participants are consistently met and that a clean,
sanitary, and safe environment is maintained at all times
- Build and maintain trusting relationships with participants
- Identify/report safety hazards and emergency situations and
initiate corrective action as appropriate
- All other duties as assigned
Skills and Knowledge
- Able to multi-task and work independently and in a team
- Self-motivator and organized
- Exposure to or previous relevant experience or training and
skills in housekeeping, good health practices, observation,
reporting, and recordkeeping. Additionally, skills, knowledge,
and/or experience with food preparation, safe food handling
procedures, and reporting and identifying abuse and neglect
- Maintain current knowledge of and adherence to required
regulatory compliance by governing entities, HIPAA and PACE
- Able to read, write, speak and understand the English language
and follow written and oral instructions
- Working knowledge of Universal Precautions
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and good
- Willingness to accept additional responsibility
- Able to work effectively in a collegial manner with all members
of the Interdisciplinary Team (IDT)
- Able to work sensitively and effectively with individuals of
diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds
- Able to utilize basic computer skills in the workplace
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent required
Experience: A minimum of one (1) year of experience working with a
frail or elderly population preferred
Number/Type of Employees Supervised: None
Licensure, Registry, or Certification Required: Valid MI Driver's
License with good driving record; CPR certified.
Special Training: Only acts within scope of practice. Meet a
standardized set of orientation and/or individual competencies for
the specific position description established by PACE of Southwest
Michigan, and approved by CMS before working independently.
Immunizations: Be medically cleared for communicable diseases and
have all immunizations up to date before engaging in direct
Specific Requirements and Considerations: May be subject to
exposure and handling of infectious waste, diseases, conditions or
hazardous chemicals, etc., including potential exposure to TB,
AIDS, and/or Hepatitis B.
Ages of Patients Rendered Care: Adult, Geriatric
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to
sit and use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or
controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
The employee must be able to travel in all kinds of weather.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required
to frequently move up to 50 pounds and perform physical demands
expected while providing medical care for an elderly population.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision and the ability to focus.
Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of
this position. However, this in no way states or implies that these
are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission
of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the
position if the work is similar, related, or is an essential
function of the position.
Keywords: Pace of Southwest Michigan, South Bend , Personal Care Assistant, Other , Saint Joseph, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!